Saturday, April 28, 2007

What unites us is more important than what separates us

Dylan Breuer has a great post today. Check it out. I'm glad she put it up; I've thought about this for a while. In fact, a friend and I spoke about this topic as well as others, including how many Christians define themselves by what they are against instead of what they are for.

For example, we spoke about how some Christians believe that one is not a Christian unless one worships like they do. I tend to believe that if a person says he or she is a Christian, then that person is a Christian. Period. I believe what is said. I don't ask anyone to name a born again experience, nor do I ask about personal habits, etc. I rejoice and go on. I'm not the one who decides who is a Christian and who is not. That would be God.

There are many folks who would disagree with me on various issues--literal interpretation of Scripture would be one. That to them is the litmus test, and to those folks, I'm not a Christian. Fine. I tend to look for how one treats others as my personal litmus test, but again, I'm not God--I don't know a person's heart. Sometimes a person is just having a bad day.

I'll write a bit later about my own faith journey. Taciturn and I must go grocery shopping first!

No comments: