Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Life in a construction zone

I may have said that my neighborhood has been under construction since well before we moved in 18 months ago. I'll not regale you with the details, but our house has never been a home as we are afraid to do anything to make it ours for various reasons. We have a few photos on the walls and that is it. (I'm afraid that if I get into the entire house thing, it'll turn into a rant. I do enough of that!)

Having just made a pitcher of iced tea, with the remainder of the Omnivore's Dilemma in hand and Vivaldi on the radio from WETA, I settled into my rocker to read. There is a lovely cool breeze today and the windows are open, the house is fresh and comfortable. As soon as I sat down, here came the contractors' machines. They drowned out Vivaldi and the atmosphere changed immediately into dissonance. Forget reading, or thinking, or anything that requires attentiveness.

No comments: