Friday, July 20, 2007

Harry Potter

I must be the only person I know who absolutely cannot stand the Harry Potter books.

I tried to read the first book, but I'm so totally not interested in fantasy, science fiction, etc, that I couldn't even finish it. My friends with families talk of how the people in the family fight over who gets to read the latest book first. Not a problem at our house. Taciturn likes science fiction but has not had time the last several years to read for fun, so he also is unfamiliar with the Potter series.

Only Son's Bride thinks magic is sin due to the prohibition on sorcery in the NT so of course my grandchildren are not allowed to hear about Harry Potter. I would not elevate the book series to sin (I'm very slow to call things I don't like sin)--it just isn't my cup of tea.

(Of course, Only Son's Bride has never read Harry Potter. The brother of one of my friends would not allow his children to read the books or see the movies--then his teen daughter saw one of the movies on her own and challenged him to tell her what was wrong with it. After he saw it with her, he had to admit he saw nothing evil or sinful.)

There is a quiz circulating on the blogs I keep up with asking "What Harry Potter character are you?" I guess I'll pass on that!

No comments: