Thursday, July 19, 2007

More on death penalty

Another rant very similar to the one I posted over a week ago. This is from a Presbyterian minister, much to my amazement. However, it is posted by the columnist I fussed about last week.

Everyone is entitled to his/her own beliefs, but to say Holy Scripture says the death penalty is "divinely mandated" (forget God's mercy and grace, I suppose, like was seen at the stoning of the woman caught in adultery) and then to say that those who do not read it that way deny the divinity of Christ is something else.

Personally, I'm troubled by the death penalty but am not quite convinced it should be totally banned, though I think I'm getting closer to that belief due to my own reading of Scripture. However, I worry about how eager some folks are to approve the death of another. Kinda turns my stomach.

Oh well. Lots of us simply don't read the Bible the same way. I ran screaming from the Christianity of Law only that these folks espouse. I cling to the God of Love that Jesus espouses.

No comments: