Monday, August 20, 2007

Curses

I've noted that several of the bloggers I read are having horrible times in their lives lately. None of them live in my area, so I can't go to them personally to comfort them (although I can contribute to the passing of the hat), but I can pray. I can pray, and point them to the cursing Psalms (especially 109), which are great with which to pray when angry. They are a way to be honest before God, who knows how you feel when you pray them anyway.

Ellen Davis has a great chapter in her book Getting Involved With God: Rediscovering the Old Testament about the use of Cursing Psalms. One thing she says is "...because these Psalms come to us as divinely given 'counselors,' we can trust their teaching that vengeful anger is one mode of access to God." (Italics hers.) God alone rectifies the situation about which we are angry, not only for our benefit, but for "the entire moral order." She also points out that someone might pray the Cursing Psalms with US in mind!

Or, if you are feeling particularly angry, you can go to the Biblical Curse Generator and let one of the OT prophets put words in your mouth. (Thanks to Frank for that link.)

Sometimes you just have to let it all out. It doesn't solve the situation, but you might feel just a bit better.

No comments: