Thursday, September 20, 2007

Learning Eliza

We've had almost a week now to get to know our new cat. We are learning that she is very much her own girl, and that to compare her to our late cat is, well, silly.

I think the only things they have in common are that they are/were both cats.

Eliza is so sociable that she cannot EAT without one of us in the vicinity of her food dish. Yesterday while I was away and Taciturn worked unpacking books in the basement study, she stood at the stop of the steps and meowed--LOUDLY. She had been quiet for the two hours he already had spent in the study. He came upstairs to see what the fuss was about, and she strolled over to her dish and chowed down. She wakes us up in the mornings for the same reason.

Her water must be fresh. She meows at the water bowl in the mornings and in the evenings until we dump it and put new in. Only then will she drink. She has tried to drink out of the faucet in the bathroom while the water is running. We may need to get one of those bubbling dishes--I had one for Allie but tossed it when she died.

She also is fastidious. Last evening she came out of the laundry room where her litter box is and meowed loudly at me. I went in there and sure enough, it was pretty soiled. I cleaned it up and only then would she use it. I always have been good about keeping litter boxes clean as I don't like them to stink, but apparently what I used to do is not good enough for her. So I'm scooping 2-3 times a day.

Now she sits on my desk as I type this. She really enjoys--craves, actually--our company and follows us around like a dog! But she also enjoys her afternoon nap on the kitchen stool (she likes the pad) and gets cranky if that is interrupted. T moved a stool on which she was sleeping last night so we could eat at the island.

Yeah, we love our cat. Hope her companion can join us soon. We'll hear tomorrow.

No comments: