Sunday, September 16, 2007

What do you do

When two middle aged overweight white guys in suits on a 90 dg day knock on the door so they can offer to give you a free book entitled What the Bible Really Says...

Especially when you answer the door wearing your Virginia Theological Seminary tee shirt.

You smile sweetly and say in a friendly tone of voice, "No thank you. Have a nice day" while you close the door firmly.

Taciturn says we should have asked them in for martinis, which he was fixing in the kitchen when they knocked.

I have a feeling the book has a chapter about the evils of martinis in it.

4 comments:

Jan said...

I liked what you did!

Lauralew said...

Thanks! I don't even engage people like that, especially when my privacy is invaded at 4 in the afternoon on a Sunday. I hate to close doors in peoples' faces, but one of the things I've learned in my middle age is to set boundaries.

PseudoPiskie said...

When I was in college the first time, my roommate and I invited a couple of those men in and talked to them at length for a series of visits. Eventually my roomie liberated them from their oppressive church and talked them into attending the Baptist (not Southern) church across the street from us. But not everyone has the time or the patience to do that.

Lauralew said...

Once years ago I told the sect members at my door that I would listen to them if they would listen to me; they told me that they had made up their mind about what religion worked for them. I said that then they would understand why I didn't take their literature.