Thursday, May 22, 2008

Wishes and timing

If things had gone as I had planned over two years ago, today I would have marched across a stage at VTS to receive the degree of Master of Theological Studies.

But they didn't. So instead of marching across the stage in Virginia, I ran back and forth between my bathroom and my computer in South Dakota to watch at least the start of the commencement ceremony while I finished getting ready for work. I got teary eyed but the knowledge I had mascara on my eyelashes kept me from all out boo hoos.

I try to keep in mind that God's will is much more important than my will. God's timing is much better than my timing. Who knows? I may get to return some day to finish. I doubt it, but at the same time the wind of the Holy Spirit blows where it will, so it may happen.

Meanwhile, it was cool to see my buddy Beth O'C serve as crucifer for the ceremony. My friend AMH earned a preaching award--something I'd heard she did well, but have not had the privilege of hearing. It was just fun to finish up the webcast later and see so many of my friends on this august day.

And if you get a chance to listen to the webcast on the VTS website, the Rev Dr. Roger Ferlo delivered a magnificent commencement address/sermon. It starts ~ 10-15 minutes into the broadcast and lasts approx 25 minutes. It is well worth the time. If I can figure out how to get a copy of that sermon for my own, I'd love to have it.

Now off to bed as I have to be at work at 7 in the morning!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to watch. Here's a link to Roger's address.
https://www.vts.edu/ftpimages/95/misc/misc_54414.pdf
The link to the Service for Mission is on the website. Bishop Katharine's sermon was excellent and the service was beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Lauralew,

Once you visited my blog and left a comment on the post about my son's death. I think that was before you started this blog. I just ran across your comment again and came back here to find this post.

I feel your disappointment so much. I would have gotten an MTS from Bexley Hall Seminary back in 2005 if things had gone the way I wanted them to. But, like you, it wasn't to be.

I think that in this life, God doesn't generally say to us, "I want you to be a priest," or "I want you to be a lay person," or "I want you to be a missionary." God generally just says, "Follow me," and it's left to us to figure out what that means.

At first I thought it meant be a priest and I headed that way. Then health issues, followed by money issues, raised their ugly head. Then I thought it meant get an MTS, and money issues raised their ugly head again. Who know, I may do it eventually, but it's not looking very much like it will happen before I cash in my chips.

But in the meantime I have more ministries than I can shake a stick at. I will bet that you do to.

Blessings on you, my friend. I know you're doing what God has in mind for you.

Bill