Monday, December 1, 2008

Sermon illustration

STAY AWAKE!

I really had a hard time doing that at the 8 am service yesterday. I just had gotten off work at 7:30 and blearily drove across town to my church--no time to change from nursing clothes to church clothes.

Ran briefly into our beloved former priest who was supplying yesterday for KLM+ prior to the service. I told him that he would have to keep me awake since I'd been up all night. He raised his chin and said, "Ah, a challenge!"

At that time, I had no idea what the Gospel lesson was, and had no idea of what I just had provided him.

Sure enough, he opened his sermon with a brief tale of a friend who had had "kind of a late night" and had told him to keep her awake. He transitioned nicely to Mark's Gospel lesson from that.

That wasn't the most important point from his sermon yesterday. I'm actually going to email him to ask for the text, as I not only stayed awake, but listened. I'd like to do a meditation on what he said, as I thought he made some very important points about the labels of conservative and liberal. I'd do it now, but I wish to make sure I get it right!

1 comment:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Well, for getting mentioned in a sermon, that's relatively harmless. At least you weren't a bad example. LOL