Tuesday, March 30, 2010

House News

Last Wednesday Taciturn and I viewed four houses. One was the home of a smoker and the carpets were old and markedly filthy; another was way too small; one was very expensive yet needed extensive remodeling; the very last was breathtaking. It was the the third least expensive, immaculate, with custom draperies and other nice touches included. We went back to see it on Friday and placed an offer. We found out we were not the only ones enraptured by the house; another couple had placed an offer. We waited most of the day Saturday, then in the late afternoon, after a bit of dealing on the final price, learned the house was ours! Hurray!

We had partially started the financing process, and today T called to let our mortgage company know we had signed a contract on a house. After that, it only took 20 minutes for them to issue a loan on the condition we send in a few documents. That was it. Unless there are other snafus, we should be able to close before May.

The town in which we will live is the same town where the RevDrMom lived prior to seminary. On Palm Sunday I visited her former parish and liked it very much. Small world.

On the other home front, for two weeks no one has viewed the house we have for sale. We dropped the price a bit today to try to get people in the door to see it, and will drop it more if need be. We are more interested in getting rid of it than in making a lot of money.

A home in a place where no one told us we absolutely had to live. Amazing. Taciturn and I figured out how many times we have moved; I certainly win with eighteen moves since 1985. I'm tired of moving. It is time to sink my roots and live in a place without one foot out of the door.

6 comments:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh, congratulations. I'm so thrilled for you.

Leann said...

I have moved over 20 times in as many years. I too am ready to settle down somewhere. I am tired of having minimal belongings and never knowing where I'll be. I just have to figure out exactly WHERE I want to settle down :-)

Congrats on the house and I hope you sell the old house quickly. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Kimberly Mason said...

Holy Cow Wow! That's great!!!! Congratulations! And the house, it looks beautiful!

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Congrats! At least 1/2 of the good news is covered! Should one of us drive to SD to bury St. Joseph upside down in the backyard?

VTcrone said...

From the Brussat's book SPIRITUAL LITERACY that we were talking about at lunch the other day, I found this.

"The stage of my life has changed; old doors are closed and new ones now stand open.
Though I may have seen this space before, I now come to make it mine, to call it home.
Hello and greetings to the heart and soul of this new setting.
I honor this place that will shelter me, and embrace the changes and opportunities that this move invites into my life."

Noel N. Evans
in "Meditations for the Passages
and Celebrations of Life"

Diane M. Roth said...

I like the house in that picture. hope it becomes "home."