Saturday, February 2, 2013

Lucky Seven Challenge

I'm still writing, although not here. I free-write each day (today was 70 days in a row), and I've finally gotten into a rhythm on the novel I announced two years ago (egad) that I was writing. Some discipline finally has crept into my work; I write a minimum of 1000 words a day, five days a week. Suddenly the novel has really taken off (surprise), though it needs much revision, and also more research. I passed the halfway point in my rough draft earlier this week!

What brings me here today is a challenge by my writing pal, Talya Boerner, whom I met at a writers' retreat in Arkansas last fall. She blogs at grace grits and gardening. This is her challenge:

Go to page 7 or 77 of your latest work. Read down to the seventh line and then post online the next seven lines or sentences. Then head off and tag seven more writers.

I am not going to tag anyone. Since I seldom blog, I don't think that's fair! But if you wish to play, I'd love to see what you are writing!

Here's mine, from page 77 of the rough draft:


"If you desire, I should be quite pleased to write you a reference.”

The young man beamed. “Thank you, Professor. What you just said means a great deal to me!” He hopped to his feet but paused at the door. “Feel better, sir.”

"Thank you. I'll simply need to get up on the other side of the bed tomorrow." Stafford smiled. Martin grinned and left, his footsteps tumbling down the stairs.

Notes in hand, Stafford strolled to Christ Church the following Monday to speak to the garden club as he had promised Miss Jameson. He hoped his relaxed gait belied the knots in his stomach.


2 comments:

D3880 said...

Makes me curious to learn what it's about.

I haven't been reading your blog until recently. I applaud you for taking on a novel. I write, but find a novel much too intimidating. I write essays, ss, and a bit of poetry.

Again, good luck with your novel!

Lauralew said...

Thanks, D3880. The reason I am writing a novel is that I've had a story on my mind for over ten years that I've used to entertain myself on long car rides. 2.5 years ago, I introduced the concept and the two main characters in a writing workshop, and was encouraged to do more with it. So finally, after all this time, I'm putting it down. Thanks for your encouragement, and best to you as well!