Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Becoming politically active

One tentative step at a time, I attended my first meeting of South Dakota Democracy in Action. This is a nonpartisan group of "women working to bring about progressive change in South Dakota". My friend LE heard me say that I needed to find a way to get involved with the political process as I have HAD it, so she suggested this group. I was impressed and will go next week to another meeting.

Politics are tough at my house. Taciturn, although very active in community volunteer activities such as Meals on Wheels and hospice, is a huge fan of President Bush as he has kept us safe from further terrorist attacks (acc to T). T has said that history will show President Bush as the greatest president our nation has ever had. I could not disagree more; I think the president should be impeached. Obviously this is a huge issue for us and after some very loud screaming matches, we have agreed to disagree. He thinks I'm deluded in my political views, as I think he is in his. However, I understand where his ideas come from, and I hope he would try to understand where mine originate:

... Will you seek and serve Christ in all persons, loving
your neighbor as yourself?

I will, with God's help.

Will you strive for justice and peace among all
people, and respect the dignity of every human
being?

I will, with God's help.

As I've said before, I'm fifty years old and should be able to say what I want and support what I want, regardless whether other people I know agree with me. I have to be me as I don't know who else to be, so I have to honor my own viewpoints rather than keep silent just because my husband and I disagree. Therefore, I must get started in finding my voice in those things. I have to get past the idea that if some people know what I really think or believe, that I will lose their love. I have to persuade myself that if I can't be me to be loved, then what I have isn't love.

I'm taking a deep, deep breath here!

No comments: