Sunday, November 16, 2008

Another chapter of Sunday musings

Slept like a rock last night. I felt better today than I have in days. Sleep is NOT overrated! Got lots of work done around the house today.

My friend AMH from my year at VTS called today; she is being interviewed for a position at the church T and I attended on the Mississippi Gulf Coast when he was at Keesler AFB. We chatted about my impressions during the time we were there (we liked the parish a lot). After we hung up, I remembered some of the folks I was friendly with in this parish and wrote a bunch of emails just to say hi. The one and only time I was asked to be a godparent was in this parish. The Episcopal Church is a small church, to be sure.

Recalling the reason I did not leave on time yesterday from work...can't really give details without violating the privacy of those involved. Just be sure that you have everything you want legally done with your affairs taken care of before you are incapacitated. Some innocents will suffer since in their case that wasn't done.

This job is really making me think about things I'd never, ever considered before. Certainly, to make sure all is in order at all times just in case is a true act of love.

3 comments:

Kirkepiscatoid said...

Oh, man, don't get me started on the "why everyone needs a living will and a DPOA (durable power of attorney)" lecture.

I even chewed my vicar's ass out about that one. Told him that his brother would blow into town, not know squat about what he would want, and since being a doc makes me the "default for medical questions" person in the parish, I would get dragged in trying to figure out what to do.

I recall saying something to the effect of, "I don't care if you ARE a priest. If you don't have a living will, you are a damn fool in this regard."

Fran said...

You are really in a position to know of such things. I am one to want to discuss and deal with them now, but am married to someone who feels otherwise.

Frustrating.

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

That is such an important reminder. We had an end-of-life planning seminar at our parish a few years back, and Michael and I did our stuff then.