Thursday, March 5, 2009

Enforced rest

Be careful what you wish for--you might get it!

All I wanted was a good night's sleep. But I don't like the way I will get it.

I broke out in shingles today.

Part of the reason I was not able to sleep last night was that I was uncomfortable and could not find a position that was comfortable. I took Motrin and it didn't touch it. I thought I was just being a wuss.

I talked to Taciturn around noon today and he said, "You have shingles!" after I described the pattern of the discomfort. I winced due to the memory of how very ill my grandmother was when she had shingles. "But," I protested, "I'm not broken out!"

"You will be," he replied.

I got home, started to get in the shower, and lo and behold, tiny blisters in a patch on my right shoulder blade. Feh. I called the doctor who said it sure sounded like shingles to her. Couldn't get me in today to start antivirals, though. I'll go tomorrow.

I was supposed to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday, plus Tuesday. The earliest I can possibly work would be Thursday now; after five days on the medications, I have to be cleared by the Occupational Health nurse before I can go back. I'll see her on Wednesday.

Grumble!

1 comment:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

Oh Laura, I'm so sorry. I'm praying that it won't be too painful.