Thursday, November 19, 2009

Serendipity

The physical therapist thinks I should have a cortisone injection into my knee. Fine. Whatever it takes. Thanks for all the good wishes and prayers.

Today after PT, I strolled into a local coffee shop with the intention of composing a quick blog post while sipping a brew. One of my historical preservationist friends was seated at a booth with a woman I had never met. They invited me to join them.

The last time I’d seen my friend was just prior to my father’s death; we had gone to Deadwood, SD to research 1880s newspapers for a grant application. I enjoy historical research and that day was a blast. Today we spoke about other projects that she and her friend, a professional historical preservationist, were starting. Presently they have applied for protected status for the local middle school. Calvin Coolidge stated from that building that he did not plan to run for re-election. Historic windows have been removed from the building and sold to local collectors, which is why my friend wants it protected. We all eagerly anticipate the decision of the state historical board.

The two of them would like some help writing up applications for other buildings and areas. As a huge history buff, I might be able to assist them. They invited me to a meeting tomorrow—but the meeting takes place around the time I expect Taciturn home from Baltimore. So, can’t go. I told them to call me if I can help them with any project.

No comments: