Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving

A nice quiet day at the home of Taciturn and Lauralew. Have a turkey breast in the oven, potatoes chopped and ready to cook up for mashing, stuffing made, pumpkin pie cooling, and football in the background.

The pall that hangs over the day is the absence of my parents. Out of habit's sake, I called the house anyway and had a nice chat with Caretaker. Youngest is sharing Thanksgiving dinner with them. Only Son and his family are making the rounds of their extended families in MO--her mom, her dad, Only Son's dad and his mother, etc. If nothing else the death of my parents means one less meal for them to eat on Thanksgiving Day.

Although my parents are no longer here, there is much to be thankful for. Taciturn, for one thing! All of my friends and my church, and good reliable health insurance provided by the US government. May all of my fellow citizens get as decent coverage as I have. Yes, I'm thankful for what I have, while knowing many do not have what I do. That is the tension. Prayers for all this day.

1 comment:

Leann said...

I hope your day went well and you enjoyed the food and company. I am fortunate to have my mother still with us. I don't see her as often as I would like and don't want to think of the day she is not there.

Just finished our Thanksgiving dinner. It was late as I had to work. We'll be having pie soon..yummy

Enjoy your evening.