Thursday, August 21, 2008

The Explanations

of why we left our church have started. I've met with the man who was the interim priest for almost two years; he is sad I'm leaving but after hearing what I had to say (he was one of the few I trust with the entire story), he absolutely understands. He also thinks it is very important that the present rector get the entire version, not just the Cliff Notes version--and after he told me a few things, I think he is right.

Monday night I got a call from the rector of St. A's. She said, "I was calling in case you wanted to visit with me," which I did. I met with her yesterday afternoon; she also thinks that the present rector needs the entire story. I cannot prove anything, but she thinks that if both the former interim rector and I are having the same problem, then surely others are as well. She said that when she meets with folks who are leaving another Episcopal church she usually urges a wait it out period, especially for long term members. After she heard my story, however, she said I absolutely am doing the right thing by leaving.

I've gotten a couple of well meaning phone calls encouraging me to not let people push me out of church or asking if I still am a Christian, an email here and there from some others. I'm really just reassuring people that there is nothing they can say or do that will make me change my mind.

Anyway, I do have a luncheon appt next week with the current rector. When I met with the former interim rector, I told him I didn't think the current rector would want to hear what I have to say. He cautioned me not to sell the current rector short. We'll see how that goes.

And...Mother Kathy said that I have lots of work to do. I know she isn't speaking about my work at the hospice.

1 comment:

Ruth Hull Chatlien said...

I'm glad you're being up front with the people who need to know.

But I'm steaming a little about people who would ask if you're "still a Christian."