Monday, November 30, 2009

The last of November

Mom would have been 74 today. Very odd not to need to pick up the phone to give her a call. I remember when she turned seventy; when I asked her how she felt about being that age, she said, “I don’t want to be seventy!”

“Well,” I said, “consider the alternative.”

Four short years later, the alternative is the reality.

Otherwise, it has been a good day. This morning I finished and submitted the two hundred word essay I wrote for the Lenten reflection booklet the local Episcopal churches are compiling jointly. My knee feels the best it has for a long time and I had a good workout at physical therapy. I was able to piggyback on a free wireless signal from the café next door to the PT clinic and listen to VPR Classical on my iPod Touch during electrical stimulation, which is a lovely way to pass the time. Feeling guilty after PT, I bought a bowl of delicious chicken chipotle soup for my lunch from the cafe'.

Evensong for the Feast of St. Andrew, the patron saint of my church, awaits tonight. Good to attend church on this day in particular.

Thanks for hanging with me during NaBloPoMo! I think I got something up each day. I’ll see how or if I will continue this much posting during Advent. No urgency now, certainly!

1 comment:

Kimberly Mason said...

St. Andrew is my favorite saint--though probably because I love the couple that wear their kilt and dress to church and provide homemade shortbread cookies to celebrate the day...and also because I've a lot of Scottish blood running through my veins. And happy birthday to your momma in heaven--though I'm really mad at my own momma today...but now that I type that out that sounds really foolish. Thank you for setting me back on the right path.